Tuesday 10 September 2013

my feminist idol

I love caitlin moran. I can honestly say I feel a deep emotional connection to her. Well to her writing. And the part of her I know through her writing. I devour her column in the the times sunday magazine every week and have posters of her and clippings of her writing plastered all over my bedroom. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration but caitlin's face does have the honour of being on the wall next to my bed and her article 'my posthumous advice for my daughter' framed along side it. 

for those of you who don't know who caitlin moran is (do you live under a rock or something or are you just anti-humorous, strikingly feminist, legendary writing?), she's a journalist, author and broadcaster who writes the most hilarious and relatable articles ever known. 

here's a list as to why you lot who have never heard of her should be ashamed: 

• she's eye-wateringly, belly-achingly hilarious 

• she wrote about real things that real women care about - no I don't give a hot rats if 'katie price is married AGAIN' or if west life are starting a reunion tour, but I do care about 'why female genital mutilation must end' and if you do too I suggest you look at some of her work (it's unbelievably witty and charming)

• she's a feminist 

• her book 'how to be a woman' is so honest, I felt like we was sitting on the end of my bed explaining all this, whilst we painted our nails black and talked about why the suppression of women needs to stop now before we explode 

• she's gorgeous - what more reason do you need?

back to the reasoning of my post; I wanted to share my feelings in her article 'my posthumous advice to my daughter'. 

my mother, a long time smoker, often jokes about how I couldn't survive with out her - which is entirely true. And as I read caitlin's article in the times Sunday magazine in way back in July, I was convinced my mum and her had worked together on this piece: the words appeared in my head as if they were coming from my mums mouth! 
 

my favourite line from this historic article?
'never ever start smoking. it's like buying a fun baby dragon that will grow and eventually burn down your f***ing house.'



can't express enough how much you guys need to read the rest of this article. just go. 








~happy reading~ 










No comments:

Post a Comment