Sunday 8 September 2013

favourite last lines of books

over the summer I read looking for alaska by john green, in which the protagonist has a deep love for people's last words so this post is inspired by miles from looking for alaska  









my favourite last lines of books;


mister pip by lloyd jones

'I would try where pip failed. I would try to return home.' 

I love this quote because family is very important to me - having what I call a 'patchwork family' (commonly known as a 'broken' family but I disagree with this terminology) I have different branches of family that are spread all over the world. My family members in America mean just as much to me as the ones in France, Australia or Britain. I think it's very important I remember that, no matter what happens, family is there for you and you must never forget where you came from and who loved you from the beginning. This also refers to wider family such as godparents or long lost cousins. So when Matilda says 'home' I think she means not just her physical home but to her family too - as home is where the family is. 




harry potter and the deathly hallows by j.k rowling 

'[harry speaking] "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime"' 

this quote, although not technically the final quote in the book if you count the chapter on 'nineteen years later', is the final line of the best series of books in all of time. This one sentence sums up the whole series in a witty, charming and memorable sentence that I'd like to say made me laugh. But I'd be lying. However with 100% honestly, although I didn't laugh, I did do that thing where you blow air out of your nose hard and fast with a smile lurking on the corner of your mouth.Near enough. 

 

the great gatsby by f. scott fitzgerald 

'so we beat in, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.'

this is another of my favourite last lines because it, again, sums up the whole book. The 'pushing against the current' concludes gatsby's character fully as he's always trying to go back, to go against the flow, to be with daisy. It also portrays the way humans are always longing to recreate the past as we see it in bright colours - as does gatsby. A wonderful end to a wonderful book. 





what are your favourite last lines of books? let me know in a comment below:-) 

2 comments:

  1. "Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo."

    - Lois Lowry, The Giver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! so mysterious and sinister! Why do you love it?

    ReplyDelete