Saturday 24 May 2014

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a book narrated by Death and set in 1939 Nazi Germany. It follows Liesel Meminger's life as she learns to read with the help of her foster father and finds a love for books. 



'A beautifully balanced piece of storytelling, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told' GUARDIAN

'A moving work which will make many eyes brim' INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

'Briliant and hugely ambitious' NEW YORK TIMES




The characters within The Book Thief were as real to me as night and day and I related to them more than anyone I've ever met. Max Vandenburg's eternal gratefulness and peace presents him as a victim turned hero who helped Liesel to get through the daily struggles many German people were facing at the time. 
The character of Rudy was so naïve and innocent it reminded me of my younger brother and his freedom was refreshing to read about. 

The book's structure kept me guessing but also revealed enough to me that I never got bored. I would read this book into the late hours of the night and as I felt the end coming, a huge sense of melancholy that is familiar when you come to the end of a brilliant book overwhelmed me. 

If you've read my blog or my twitter before you'd know that I just love love love historical books and The Book Thief pressed all my buttons!! An impressively written book that I would strongly recommend to anyone even slightly interested in World War Two. 

Overall this book made me laugh and cry and kept me turning the pages right until the final page. The Book Thief is an exceptional piece of literature that I'm sure is well on it's way to being a classic. 













~happy reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment